Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Character Generation part I

I stumbled over a few comments about character generation at a few blogs, that currently slip my mind, that got me thinking about character generation.

I've probably rolled up more characters for games never played than characters for actual games.  There is something about the creation process I love.  It must be my inner accountant.

The Traveller chargen is probably the easiest for straight randomness, with Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay and Mechwarrior close on its heels.  There may be other systems similiar to Traveller, but I've not yet encounter such.  I know that with Traveller chargen there is usually a good chance of death and with Mechwarrior some short of uncool injury or addiction was 90% going to rear its ugly head.

Why is this all important?  Because I think this is a fundemental way to approach the game - play the role of the character that you are given/rolled, don't try to create your alter ego, ala The Matrix.

My introduction to D&D was at the Hilsmere public library.  I was visiting my grandfather and  wandered into the library and found a group playing.  They offered to let me play handing me one of the henchmen and the rest is history.  This is why I prefer to play anything and really don't care too much about party balance and other esoteric gaming concepts; I want to see if what happens when you play your character to type.

3 comments:

  1. I've probably rolled up more characters for games never played than characters for actual games. There is something about the creation process I love. It must be my inner accountant>

    I work in accounting, so of course I love all the bookkeeping involved in gaming myself.

    I remember as a kid rolling tons of PC's, and I think that is one reason I ended up being GM more often than not. I needed to use all those characters, and creating a game world gives you a place to put 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tired of annoying interruptions? Enjoy unblocked games without ads, the ultimate hub for seamless and pure gaming. From action sagas to brain teasers, dive into a wide selection free from pesky advertisements. Our easy-to-navigate platform ensures a smooth experience for gamers of all ages. No pop-ups, no distractions, just you and your favorite games. Say goodbye to ads and hello to uninterrupted fun. Start playing now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get ready for a wild time with Unblocked 2 player animal games! You and a friend can be fierce lions or swift rabbits, all while having loads of fun. These games are accessible from anywhere, even at school. No need to install anything, just hop on a browser and start playing. From racing to puzzle-solving, these games offer various challenges. Team up and explore the animal kingdom today!

    ReplyDelete